2014 CHEVROLET CAPRICE POLICE PATROL VEHICLE IS READY TO SERVE
Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) delivers the performance, comfort and safety today’s police departments need. New features and enhancements for 2014 provide a more tailored tool for law enforcement.
The changes are headlined by the relocation of the shifter from the center console to a column-shift design, opening up space for a new center console equipment mounting platform. The platform is standard and serves as a heavy-duty foundation for the variety of computer, console and other equipment typically used in police vehicles. It also comes installed, saving police departments the money of purchasing a separate platform and the time of installing it.
Additional new and revised features for 2014 include:
- Surveillance mode that allows cut-off of lights for undercover work
- Fuel-saving electric power steering
- Larger-diameter front stabilizer bar and new front struts enhance handling performance and reduce body roll when cornering
- Higher-capacity, 700 CCA available auxiliary battery
- Remote vehicle starter with remote keyless entry is now standard
- New instrument panel and gauge cluster
- Driver information center programming controls relocated to a stalk on the left side of the steering column
- Trunk release buttons moved to both front doors
- Door lock button relocated to the top-rear of door trim pad – pull handle once to unlock and pull again to open the door
- Refined front seats for improved comfort and revised safety belt receivers for easier buckling
- Chevrolet MyLink infotainment system with seven-inch color touch screen
- Bluetooth for phone and music, personal cell phone connectivity to audio system, voice recognition, music navigator and streaming audio
- Vehicle customization features accessible via new touch screen
- Prussian Steel Metallic exterior color.
Unlike other police cars on the market, the Caprice PPV is not based on an existing “civilian” passenger car sold in North America. It has been developed in key areas specifically for police duty, containing modern equipment and features, including:
- Segment-topping top-speed performance
- Standard 3.6L V-6 rated at 301 horsepower (224 kW) that delivers a strong balance of performance and efficiency
- Available 6.0L V-8, rated at 355 horsepower (265 kW), with fuel-saving Active Fuel Management technology and E85 capability, delivers best-in-class top speed and 0-60 acceleration of less than six seconds
- Six-speed automatic transmission with sport shift calibrations for high-performance driving
- Exceptional braking performance with heavy-duty, four-wheel discs and police-calibrated anti-lock system
- Eight standard air bags with rollover protection and StabiliTrak stability control
- Segment-leading interior space, with the center console area available for computers and other police equipment
- Special front seats designed for the long-term comfort of officers whose car is their office, sculpted to fit the bulk of a typical equipment belt.
Caprice performs exceptionally well against other manufacturers’ police vehicles, with the Caprice PPV 6.0L delivering a higher top speed (154 mph / 248 kmh) than the Dodge Charger V-8 or the Taurus-based Ford Police Interceptor with EcoBoost, during Michigan State Police’s annual benchmark police vehicle evaluation (2013 models tested).
Caprice PPV exterior features
Caprice PPV was designed exclusively as a police car and its roster of standard and available exterior features is uniquely suited for police work. Highlights include:
- Daytime running lamps with reduced intensity are standard
- Daytime running lamps and automatic headlamps can be deleted
- Flashing light system for headlamps and taillamps is available
- Lock cylinders for both front doors and trunk are standard
- Heated outside mirrors are available
- Spotlamps and spotlamp provisions are available
- Full wheel covers are available.
Exterior colors: Phantom Black Metallic, Heron White, Karma Metallic, Mirage Glow Metallic, Red Hot, Silver Ice Metallic, Hugo Blue Metallic and Prussian Steel Metallic.
Caprice PPV interior details and features
The Caprice PPV is designed to provide maximum comfort so officers can do their job more effectively. The front seats are sculpted to “pocket” the equipment belt, which greatly increases the comfort for a great range of officer sizes. The foam density of the seatback and cushion insert surfaces are designed to conform to the shape of an equipment belt’s various items, too, allowing the officer’s back to rest properly on the seatback surface.
Along with comfort, the materials used in the seats were also carefully selected. High-wear, low-friction materials were chosen to stand up to long hours of everyday use, while breathability, long-term durability and ease of cleaning were also important criteria.
Engineers worked on several iterations of the seat, testing a couple of versions in the field to get real-world feedback from police officers, who used prototype seats in their cruisers for a month. Their input helped determine the final design.
For 2014, the front seat cushions are wider, for increased comfort, with revised bolsters that allow easier entry and exit. Also, the back bolsters are revised for greater comfort with a duty belt.
The driver’s seat features six-way power adjustability, including lumbar control and manual reclining back – as well as quick-adjust manual fore and aft movement for additional comfort. There’s also a built-in security panel.
Several standard and available features are offered on the Caprice PPV that make it the ideal tool for police duty. They include:
- Standard driver information center in the instrument cluster with an oil life monitor and selectable “Capture Speed” feature that captures speed with tracking/pacing other vehicles
- Standard cloth front bucket seats, with cloth rear bench seat and carpeted floor covering; vinyl-covered rear seat and floor covering are available
- Standard driver and front passenger six-way power seat adjusters
- Standard analog 160-mph certified speedometer, with 1-mph increments
- Standard tilt and telescopic steering column
- Industry exclusive front seat-only head curtain air bag
- Standard surveillance mode for exterior and interior lighting
- Standard trunk release buttons mounted on the front door panels
- Available disabled rear interior door locks, handles and windows.
Additional interior features include:
- Dual-zone automatic climate control is standard
- Chevrolet MyLink radio – AM/FM with CD and seven-inch color touch screen
- Cruise control is standard
- Common fleet key locking system is available (not compatible with previous model-year vehicles)
- LED-lit red and blue flashing-lights trunk lid warning is available
- Inoperative dome and courtesy lamp feature is available
- Lamp, horn and siren wiring packages are available
- Jet Black is the standard interior color.
Caprice PPV performance
The LFX-code 3.6L V-6 is the standard engine in the Caprice PPV, with the 6.0L V-8 optional. The 301-horsepower (224 kW) LFX is a 60-degree design, with the cylinder block and cylinder heads cast in aluminum for low weight. A forged steel crankshaft provides optimal strength in the bottom end, while the cylinder heads include four valves per cylinder, with a dual overhead camshaft design incorporating continuously variable valve timing.
Additionally, optimized-flow fuel injectors and the integrated exhaust manifolds/cylinder heads promote lower emissions. The LFX’s composite intake manifold also has a comparatively small radiated surface area to help it maintain excellent noise and vibration characteristics. The direct injection fuel system enables greater performance and efficiency, giving it horsepower that even some V-8s didn’t offer only a few years ago.
The Caprice PPV’s 6.0-liter V-8 is rated at 355 horsepower (268 kW) and 384 lb-ft of torque (521 Nm). It features Active Fuel Management technology, which helps save gas by allowing the engine to operate on only four cylinders during certain light-load driving conditions, saving the fuel normally used to drive all eight cylinders. It is also E85-capable.
Both engines are backed by a six-speed automatic transmission that is performance-calibrated for police duty. It features the Sport Mode feature, which delays upshifts and allows earlier downshifts when maximum engine power and transmission responsiveness are desired. Its unique calibration allows the transmission to “understand” driving conditions and select the appropriate gear, even through tight turns, and provides the optimum engine torque.
Additional powertrain and vehicle system features include:
- 2.92 axle ratio
- Limited-slip differential is standard with the 6.0L and available with the 3.6L
- 170-amp high-output alternator with idle boost feature
- Engine oil (V-8), transmission and power steering coolers
- Electric cooling fans and EPDM (ethylene-propylene-diene monomer) coolant hoses
- Available industry-exclusive auxiliary battery for police equipment.
All models feature a four-wheel independent suspension, with heavy-duty components that deliver responsive, high-performance driving characteristics that are crucial in some police scenarios. A tight turning diameter of 38 feet (11.4 m) and a generous ground clearance of six inches (153 mm) enable excellent maneuverability.
Electric power steering is new for 2014 and helps save fuel by drawing energy only when the steering wheel is turned. The previous, conventional system drew energy whenever the engine was running.
Caprice PPV safety and crash-avoidance features
Officer safety is a fundamental element of the Caprice PPV’s design. The body structure features extensive use of high-strength steel and ultra-high-strength steel for greater strength and crash protection, while standard and available air bags offer protection in the event of a crash.
Dual-stage driver and front passenger air bags are standard, along with head curtain air bags for the driver and front passenger, front seat-back-mounted pelvic-thorax air bags and driver and front passenger knee air bags. The front seat-only head curtain air bags enable the use of a full-width prisoner partition for greater officer safety. Combined front and rear head curtain air bags are available, providing rollover protection.
Newly designed front seat-mounted side pelvic air bags work to reduce the risk of pelvic injury by up to 30 percent.
Each features an additional cell that inflates to a higher pressure to better distribute crash energy loads across the occupant’s pelvic area, as well as the chest.
To help avoid crashes, the Caprice PPV includes standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control, with a special police calibration for aggressive driving maneuvers. Large, four-wheel disc brakes with anti-lock (featuring a police-specific calibration) are also standard, along with strong, durable 18-inch steel wheels (with bolt-on center caps or full wheels covers) that are matched with performance Goodyear P235/50R18 tires.