2014 CHEVROLET MALIBU IS ROOMIER, MORE EFFICIENT AND BETTER CONNECTED
The 2014 Malibu is a roomier, more refined and more efficient execution of one of the industry’s most competitive midsize sedans. Updated styling, a revised interior, a new 2.5L standard engine, with fuel-saving stop/start technology, and suspension enhancements highlight the changes – with the new engine contributing to a 14-percent increase in city fuel economy.
New, customer-focused technologies also contribute to greater connectivity and enhanced crash-avoidance capability. With the available MyLink system, new Siri Eyes Free Mode for iPhone iOS 6 and iOS 7 users and a new Text-to-Voice feature allow user to engage text messages and other smartphone functions hands-free with voice commands, while the available Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert join Malibu’s roster of advanced, active safety features.
The 2014 Malibu’s new and enhanced features include:
- Revised front-end appearance
- Roomier, more comfortable rear seat, with 1.25 inches (31.7 mm) more knee room
- Redesigned center console incorporating two phone-holding slots
- New 2.5L engine with variable valve lift control and start/stop technology helps offer an EPA-estimated fuel economy of 25 city / 36 highway
- Nearly 14 percent more torque produced by the available 2.0L turbo engine – 295 lb.-ft. of torque (400 Nm) – for a greater feeling of power on demand
- Suspension enhancements derived from the all-new 2014 Impala that contribute to a more refined driving experience
Malibu’s revised front-end appearance is influenced by the all-new Impala, creating a more cohesive look across Chevrolet’s sedan lineup. The front fascia features a new, more prominent lower grille. The upper and lower grille openings – with black grille textures – are wider and accented with chrome.
Inside, redesigned seats contribute to greater rear-seat space and greater comfort. The front seatbacks are shaped to improve rear-seat knee room, while new cushion sculpturing and revised cushion material allow passengers to sit deeper in the rear seats. Additionally, approximately half an inch was trimmed from the front of the rear seat cushion, for greater comfort behind passengers’ legs.
The Malibu’s redesigned center console has a longer armrest for greater comfort, along with dedicated storage for two cell phones and a pair of cup holders.
“The changes that we were able to make in 18 months, demonstrate GM and Chevrolet’s commitment to make the Malibu the best car it can be,” said Ken Kelzer, executive chief engineer, global full-size and midsize cars. “The 2014 Malibu has been engineered to deliver more precise ride and handling that is on par with more expensive sports sedans.”
The 2014 Malibu is offered in LS, LT and LTZ models. LT models are available in 1LT, 2LT and 3LT trims, and LTZ is available in 1LZ and 2LZ trims.
Segment-first standard stop/start powertrain
Malibu’s lineup for 2014 will include two powertrain offerings: the 2.5L ECO with stop/start as the standard powertrain, and the 2.0L turbo as the premium powertrain offering. The 2014 Malibu is the first in its segment with a standard engine featuring fuel-saving stop/start technology. It shuts down the engine in certain driving conditions to reduce fuel consumption. Stop/start and other technologies in the Malibu’s new 2.5L iVLC (intake valve lift control) powertrain, including direct injection, variable valve lift control and a new six-speed automatic transmission contribute to EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings of 25 mpg in city driving and 36 mpg on the highway – 14-percent and six-percent improvements, respectively.
There are no buttons to push or procedures to learn with Malibu’s stop/start system. It automatically shuts down the engine when the car comes to a stop under certain driving conditions, such as a stoplight. The engine automatically restarts when the driver takes his or her foot off the brake.
The system monitors vehicle speed, climate control system operation and other factors to determine whether it is efficient to shut off the engine. In some cases, such as heavy stop-and-go traffic, the engine will not shut down. The engine-stop function is not indefinite. The engine automatically restarts after approximately two minutes if the driver hasn’t removed his or her foot from the brake pedal. Additionally, a driver-selectable mode for the climate system allows the driver to choose between maximum stop/start efficiency and maximum air conditioning performance.
Unique components used with stop/start include:
- A tandem-solenoid starter that enables the engine to restart quicker and more smoothly – even if the engine hasn’t come to a complete stop
- An electrically driven transmission auxiliary hydraulic pressure pump that keeps the fluid in the six-speed automatic circulating and primed for immediate take-off when the driver removes his or her foot from the brake pedal
- Larger, 12-volt absorbent glass mat (AGM) primary battery – which delivers up to four times the typical life cycle of a conventional battery – and a small, auxiliary 12-volt AGM battery
- Dual-battery isolation module that ensures both batteries are properly charged and the primary battery always has a sufficient charge to start the vehicle
- Torque-reaction engine mounts that dampen the vibrations associated with a restart, helping deliver smooth, nearly imperceptible performance.
The new 2.5L is SAE-certified at 196 horsepower (146 kW) and 186 lb.-ft. of torque (252 Nm). Revised transmission shift points and quicker shifts also enhance the feeling of performance – while delivering greater refinement.
Available turbo engine delivers segment-leading torque
The 2014 Malibu’s available 2.0L turbo engine delivers nearly 14 percent more torque than its predecessor– SAE-certified 295 lb.-ft. (400 Nm). Revised engine calibration accounts for the improvement, making the Malibu 2.0L turbo’s torque the best in the segment, even among six-cylinder competitors. The result is a stronger feeling of acceleration from a stop and a greater feeling of power on demand in almost all driving conditions. The 2.0L turbo also produces an SAE-certified 259 horsepower (193 kW).
Chassis and suspension updates inspired by the all-new 2014 Impala also contribute to the 2014 Malibu’s more dynamic driving experience, including rebound springs that are internal to the struts, which are incorporated on 2.5L-equipped models. They enable more refined calibration of the dampers for a smoother overall ride, while also improving body roll control and weight transfer during acceleration or turning. That helps keep the wheels planted, contributing to a more precise, controlled feel – especially while cornering. (The rebound springs were incorporated on turbo models in 2013.)
Fuel-saving electric power rack-and-pinion variable-effort power steering is standard and enables effortless low-speed maneuvers and a higher degree of steering feel at higher speeds, with revised, higher-effort calibrations for 2014 that improve the overall steering feel. Also, the Malibu’s brake system has been revised to provide a more confident feel.
Additional chassis control technologies include four-channel anti-lock brakes, full-function traction control, four-corner electronic stability control, electronic brake force distribution, brake assist system, corner brake control, hydraulic brake fade assist and drag torque control.
Malibu’s interior was designed to bring an element of sophistication to everyday driving, featuring a dual-cockpit design that creates an inviting, roomy and comfortable environment. A redesigned center console has a longer armrest designed for greater comfort, along with dedicated storage for two cell phones and a pair of cup holders.
Redesigned seats contribute to greater rear-seat space and greater comfort. The front seatbacks are shaped to improve rear-seat knee room, while new cushion sculpturing and revised cushion material allow passengers to sit deeper in the rear seats. Additionally, approximately half an inch was trimmed from the front of the rear seat cushion, for greater comfort behind passengers’ legs.
The interior features chrome-metallic (LS models) or Agathis wood (LT/LTZ) accents located around the shifter, surrounding the center stack, around the instrument cluster and on doors and the steering wheel. Soft, ice blue ambient lighting reflects off of and complements chrome accents and ensures even, consistent illumination along the instrument panel and in storage pockets. Ice blue lighting on the center stack dials, exposed ice blue French contrast stitching, soft-touch and textured surfaces.
The Malibu also has a number of storage areas, including a radio face that articulates up and down to reveal a six-inch deep storage area behind its available seven-inch-diagonal touch-screen radio. Malibu also offers a full range of the latest infotainment options, including Chevrolet MyLink color touch with available navigation.
Additional interior features include:
- Air conditioning with new humidity sensor on LS and 1LT
- Dual-zone automatic climate control on 2LT, 3LT and LTZ models
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio with three-month trial is standard on LT and LTZ
- Audio system with USB port in the center console is standard on LT and LTZ
- Pioneer nine-speaker sound system is available on 2LT, 3LT and LTZ
- Driver information center with color display is standard on all models
- Keyless access and push-button start are available on LTZ
- Leather-appointed seating with available heated front seats
- Two auxiliary power outlets are standard on all models
- 120-volt power outlet on the rear of the center console is available on 2LT, 3LT and LTZ
- Rear-vision camera system is available on LT and LTZ
- Remote starter is available on 1LT and standard on 2LT, 3LT and LTZ
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel (with audio and cruise controls) and shift knob 2LT, 3LT and LTZ
- Leather-trimmed, heated front seats are available on 2LT and 3LT and standard on LTZ.
The new Malibu also offers a spacious trunk, with 16.3 cubic feet (462 L) of cargo room.
Chevrolet MyLink is standard on LT and LTZ models. It seamlessly integrates online services such as Pandora ® internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio ® using hands-free voice and touch-screen controls via Bluetooth-enabled phones (data rates apply). MyLink adds stereo audio streaming and wireless control of smartphones, building on the voice-activated Bluetooth hands-free calling capability already offered in most Chevy vehicles.
MyLink features a high-resolution, full-color touch screen display designed to manage the number of steps required to complete a task. It also retains all the capabilities of conventional entertainment features, including AM/FM/Sirius XM tuners, CD player with MP3 playback, auxiliary and USB inputs.
A new Text-to-Voice feature for smartphone users with Bluetooth profile (M.A.P.) and Siri for iPhone iOS 6 and iOS 7 users enhance connectivity and convenience. Each enables voice-controlled connectivity.
Text-to-Voice converts incoming messages to speech, reads them over the audio system speakers and allows the driver to reply with preset messages such as, “I’m driving and will contact you later.” Users can create and save their own preset messages when the vehicle is in Park.
Through the car’s available Chevrolet MyLink infotainment system, customers with a compatible iPhone* running iOS 6 or iOS 7 can direct Siri to perform a number of tasks while they safely keep their eyes on the road and their hands on the wheel. To help further minimize distraction, Siri takes hands-free functionality even further with an Eyes Free mode which enables drivers to interact with their iPhones using nothing more than their voice while keeping the device's screen from lighting up.
Owners simply connect their iPhone with the MyLink radio via Bluetooth, pair with the system, and use the steering wheel voice activation button to begin and end sessions with Siri in Eyes Free mode.
In the 2014 Malibu equipped with MyLink, owners can use Siri in Eyes Free mode to:
- Make voice-activated, hands-free calls to Contacts on their iPhone
- Play songs in their iTunes libraries, and even switch music sources automatically from AM/FM/XM radio to iPod mode
- Listen to, and compose and send an iMessage or text message to a phone number or anyone in saved Contacts
- Access Calendar and add appointments
Visit www.gmtotalconnect.com for further information on phone and radio capability.
Available Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert are new for 2014 and complement available Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning to enhance Malibu’s crash-avoidance capability. These advanced, active technologies use radar to help avoid crashes, with visual and audible alerts designed to identify potential threats with sufficient warning to give the driver time to react and make changes. They’re part of the segment’s only suite of advanced safety technologies offered on a midlevel trim.
Additional contributors to Malibu’s safety and peace of mind include 10 standard air bags – and two optional air bags -- an available rear vision camera and the security of OnStar (standard for six months). The standard and available air bags include:
- Dual-stage driver and front passenger air bags (two)
- Pelvic/thorax side-impact air bags for all outboard occupants, front and rear (four)
- Driver and passenger knee air bags (two)
- Roof rail air bags with rollover protection (two)
- Available second-row head/thorax side-impact air bags (two).