REDESIGNED 2015 CHEVROLET TAHOE
IS MORE CAPABLE, MORE COMFORTABLE AND
Redesigned inside and out, the 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe was developed to be more functional and refined, while offering more safety features and a greater range of advanced technologies for today’s connected customers.
The all-new version of the industry’s best-selling full-size SUV is also more efficient – including nearly 10-percent greater highway efficiency – thanks to a range of vehicle-wide enhancements that include more aerodynamic designs and a new, direct-injected EcoTec3 5.3L engine. Improved aerodynamics also contributes to a quieter interior.
The new Tahoe was redesigned along with the Chevrolet Suburban. Together they hold almost 50 percent of the segment and play an important role in the brand’s success – and General Motors’ profitability.
The 2015 Tahoe is offered in LS, LT and LTZ models, with new functionality and technology features including:
- Fold-flat second- and third-row seats that enhance cargo convenience – including an available power-folding feature
- Easier entry/exit
- Available eight-inch color touch screen radio with next-generation MyLink connectivity
- OnStar with 4G LTE and standard built-in WiFi hotspot (includes 3GB/three-month data trial – late availability)
- Up to six USB ports and six power outlets – including a 110-volt three-prong outlet – to support electronic devices of all kinds (up to 12 charging locations)
- Available rear-seat entertainment system with dual screens and Blu-ray DVD player
- Conversation mirror in the overhead console that provides a panoramic view of the rear seats
- Keyless entry and push-button start
- Up to 94.7 cubic feet of cargo room behind the front seats (rear seats folded)
- Maximum trailering capacity of 8,600 pounds (2WD).
Chevrolet supports Tahoe customers with two years/24,000 miles (whichever comes first) of scheduled maintenance, which covers four services of an oil change, tire rotation and 27-point inspection. It complements the three-year/36,000-mile (whichever comes first) bumper-to-bumper limited vehicle warranty and five-year/100,000-mile (whichever comes first) powertrain limited warranty.
The exterior design of the 2015 Tahoe is more refined and precisely sculpted. New inlaid doors fit into the body side openings instead of over the top of the body, significantly improving the quietness of the interior cabin and contributing to improved aerodynamics – an attribute that helps the vehicles slip through the air on the highway with less drag for greater efficiency. Lightweight aluminum hood and liftgate panels also enhance efficiency through reduced overall mass.
Projector-beam headlamps flank the Chevrolet-signature dual-port grille – chrome on all models – and sweep into the front fenders. High-intensity discharge headlamps and light-emitting diode daytime running lamps are included on LTZ, along with an exclusive chrome grille surround.
Inside, premium materials and enhanced ergonomics demonstrate the Tahoe’s blend of sophistication, craftsmanship and function. A new instrument panel houses an available eight-inch color touch screen radio with a secured storage bin behind the motorized screen The compartmentalized center console is large enough to store a laptop or iPad.
Additional exterior features include:
- The windshield angle is raked forward more than before and is flattened at the corners, for better wiper performance
- Laminated windshield and front door glass contribute to a quieter ride
- To accommodate radar-based safety technology, the lower front fascias no longer include exposed tow hooks, for a more refined appearance
- The B-pillar is moved forward slightly and the C-pillar is straighter, making it easier to get in and out of the vehicles – especially when climbing into the third row.
LTZ models feature more bright trim on the fascias, grille, body sides, mirror caps and more, and the LTZ also offers power-retractable and illuminated side steps.
Nine exterior color choices are available: Plumberry Metallic, Silver Ice, Black, Crystal Red, Summit White, White Diamond, Champagne Silver Metallic, Tungsten Metallic and Brownstone (with later availability).
Comfortable and connected interiors
The interior of the new Tahoe has been refined to enhance functionality and comfort, while delivering the technologies and connectivity that are more important than ever. Premium materials and enhanced ergonomics demonstrate the SUVs’ blend of sophistication, craftsmanship and function.
The instrument panel, for example, has a straightforward design featuring a large, easy-to-view cluster. It includes a 4.2-inch color driver information center display in the center of the cluster, for vehicle, infotainment and other data. There’s also an eight-inch-diagonal color touch screen radio on LT and LTZ models in the center of the instrument panel, incorporating secured storage behind the motorized screen.
Additional interior features:
- Keyless entry and push-button start is standard on LTZ and available on LT
- Power-tilting/telescoping steering column is standard on LTZ and available on LT
- Heated steering wheel is standard on LTZ and available on LT
- Sliding cover on the console cupholders is standard on LTZ
- Fold-flat second- and third-row seats, with power folding option.
The Tahoe’s seats are designed for greater comfort and durability. A new high-wear cloth seat material is available on LS and LT, and the second-row bench seat now reclines. Additional seating features include:
- LS – Standard front cloth bucket seats or optional bench seat with 10-way power-adjustable driver and two-way passenger seats, with power recline and lumbar; available haptic seat alerts; manual-adjustable second- and third-row seats.
- LT – Heated, leather-appointed 10-way power-adjustable front bucket seats with haptic seat alerts; manual-adjustable second- and folding third-row bench seats standard; manual-adjustable second-row bucket seats available; heated, power-adjustable second-row bench or bucket and power-folding third-row seat available.
- LTZ – Standard heated/cooled, perforated leather-appointed 10-way power bucket front seats with haptic seat alerts; heated, power-release folding second-row bucket seats or optional bench and power-folding third-row bench seat.
To give owners the added functionality of going from passenger space to cargo usage, the third-row seat now folds flat to the floor. The second- and third-row seats’ available power-release folding option makes it easier to load bulky items from the rear, and eases entry/exit to the third row. Power-release folding switches are located at the second-row doors and at the rear liftgate opening.
Tahoe is offered in four interior color combinations: Jet Black, Cocoa/Dune, Jet Black/Dark Ash and Cocoa/Mahogany.
MyLink and OnStar 4G LTE
The 2015 Tahoe’s next-generation MyLink gives customers the best of both worlds when it comes to infotainment. It provides easy, intuitive operation of basic functions, yet it is also highly customizable and capable of linking up to 10 devices such as smartphones, SD cards and MP3 players, giving customers and their families more ways of staying connected.
Enhanced connectivity and convenience includes a new Text Messaging Alerts feature for smartphone users with Bluetooth profile (M.A.P.), which reads incoming texts through the vehicle’s speakers, and Siri Eyes Free for iPhone iOS 6 and iOS 7 users to enhance connectivity and convenience. Each enables voice-controlled connectivity, to help keep phones safely stowed and hands on the wheel.
Additional standard and available features include:
- Eight-inch-diagonal color touch screen and multiple USB ports
- New OnStar with 4G LTE and standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot (later availability)
- MyLink enhancements with gesture recognition and natural language voice recognition
- Available navigation.
OnStar with 4G LTE and standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the vehicle is on and comes with a three-month/three gigabyte data trial, after which the customer can purchase additional data.
4G LTE is the most current and fastest mobile data network – 10 times faster than 3G and 100 times faster than the previous generation of OnStar hardware. And with OnStar, it also offers stronger, broader coverage than smartphones on the same network and it’s easy to use: If the vehicle is on, the connection is on.
At the time of purchase, six months OnStar Directions and Connections includes all of OnStar’s advisor-based safety and security features, including Automatic Crash Response and Stolen Vehicle Assistance, as well as Turn-by-Turn navigation.
Five years of OnStar Basic Plan includes RemoteLink Key Fob Services, allowing owners to remotely start and lock/unlock a car (if properly equipped), and activate the horn and lights from anywhere with a data connection. It also includes OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, which runs monthly checks of a vehicle’s engine, transmission, anti-lock brakes and more, and Dealer Maintenance Notification, which sends a diagnostic report directly to a preferred dealer to simplify service scheduling.
The OnStar with 4G LTE connection will arrive later in the 2015 model year and will include a 3GB/three-month data trial.
First-class comfort, capability and driving experience
The 2015 Tahoe is engineered to deliver a quieter, more-controlled ride and improved steering and braking feel. It all starts on a stronger, fully boxed, perimeter frame, which supports payload and trailering capability that body-frame-integral crossovers and SUVs can’t match.
All models – 2WD and 4WD – feature an updated coil-over-shock independent front suspension design, with forged aluminum upper control arms and cast-aluminum lower control arms on select models. They are 12 pounds lighter per side and 10 percent stiffer than comparable steel components.
At the rear is a five-link coil-spring suspension design, which enables optimal ride and handling through more precise tuning. Lateral stiffness was increased at the frame-side joint of the lateral link with the addition of a cross-axis ball joint, for a greater feeling of steering precision.
Additional chassis and suspension features include:
- A wider rear track that contributes to a more planted stance
- Stronger body structure with more high-strength steel for a more solid feel and a quieter cabin
- Shear-style body mounts, which reduce body shake and enhance the feeling of structural stiffness, improve damping performance when compared with previous compression mounts
- Third-generation magnetic ride control on LTZ models. Its new, dual-electric-coil design enabled engineers to tune with more resolution to handle quickly changing road conditions
- Eighteen-inch standard wheels are a half-inch wider, reducing tire flex for improved cornering performance. Twenty- and 22-inch wheels are available
- New, electric variable-assist power steering system enhances fuel economy and tailors steering assist to vehicle speed
- New four-wheel-disc brake system with Duralife™ brake rotors that offer up to double the service life
- Revisions that improve pedal feel for more-confident braking performance
- Available automatic locking rear differential that provides greater traction when needed and greater driving comfort when it’s not
- Maximum trailering rating of 8,600 pounds (2WD models).
More powerful and more efficient
Tahoe’s new new EcoTec3 5.3L V-8 engine is rated at 355 horsepower (265 kW) and 383 lb-ft of torque (519 Nm), and features state-of-the-art technologies including direct injection, cylinder deactivation, continuously variable valve timing and an advanced combustion system – all designed to make the most of power, torque and efficiency across a broad range of operating conditions.
The technologies contribute to EPA-estimated 16 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway (2WD) – a nearly 10-percent increase in highway mileage over the previous models and 7-percent greater city mileage. Improved engine mounts, electronic throttle control, adaptive exhaust systems, improved aerodynamics and other technologies help the engines operate in four-cylinder mode longer with Active Fuel Management, contributing further to efficiency.
A Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission is paired with the new 5.3L engine and contributes to efficiency with reduced engine speed on the highway. It also features TapShift control, tow/haul mode and auto grade braking.
360 degrees of safety
Because the safest crash is the one that never happens, the Tahoe is equipped with standard and available technologies that serve as an extra set of eyes and ears to the driver, including an available safety alert seat that vibrates if the system determines the driver is at risk of colliding with another vehicle.
Driver assistance begins with a standard rear vision camera that shows the area immediately behind the vehicle in the audio screen. The camera is especially helpful when hooking up a trailer. It also offers the segment’s only Front Center Air Bag (bucket seat models). This available feature deploys from the inboard side of the driver’s seat and inflates between the driver and front passenger, providing added protection for both front occupants in side-impact crashes.
Additional standard and available driver alert technologies include:
- Side blind zone alert – Uses short-range radar sensors in the rear quarter panels to “look” for other vehicles the driver may not be able to see. If the system detects a vehicle in the adjacent lane, it will illuminate an amber symbol in the outside mirror. If the driver signals to change lanes in the direction of the affected vehicle, the symbol will flash amber. It is standard on LTZ and available on LT models.
- Lane change alert – Uses the side blind zone sensors to warn drivers of fast-approaching vehicles up to 230 feet away in the adjacent lane, not just in the blind zone. It is standard on LTZ and available on LT models.
- Rear cross traffic alert – Uses the side blind zone sensors to warn drivers of approaching cross traffic while backing up. The system triggers a visual alert on the navigation screen and pulses the safety alert seat if it detects approaching vehicles up to 65 feet away from the right or left. It is standard on LTZ and available on LT models.
- Forward collision alert – A camera mounted behind the inside rearview mirror detects when a driver is at risk of hitting the vehicle ahead. A visual alert will display in the instrument cluster and the windshield and the safety alert seat will pulse several times to warn the driver. It is standard on LT and LTZ models, and available on LS.
- Lane departure warning – A camera mounted behind the inside rearview mirror detects when the driver drifts into an adjacent lane without signaling, displaying a visual alert in the instrument cluster and pulsing the safety alert seat three times on the side of the lane infraction. It is standard on LT and LTZ models, and available on LS.
- Adaptive cruise control – Long-range radar detects a vehicle ahead and automatically adjusts the vehicle’s speed to maintain a pre-selected distance. It is available on LTZ.
- Crash imminent braking – If an imminent crash is detected, the brakes will automatically apply to reduce as much vehicle speed as possible to lessen the effects of the collision.
- Safety alert seat – Pulses the left, right or both seat cushion bolsters to alert the driver of a dangerous situation. It is standard on LT and LTZ, and is part of the Driver Alert Package available on LS.
Additionally, Tahoe offers seven standard air bags, including the segment’s only front-seat center air bag and seat-mounted side-impact air bags help protect the chest and pelvic regions of the driver and outside front passenger in a side-impact.
From a security standpoint, Tahoe offers an available security system featuring glass breakage sensors, motion detectors and a self-leveling inclination sensor that sounds an alarm if a thief attempts to steal wheels or tires, or tow or lift the vehicle onto a flatbed truck.
The new Tahoe is built at GM’s Arlington, Texas assembly plant, which has received more than $500 million in upgrades and added more than 1,000 employees.