ALL-NEW 2015 CHEVROLET TAHOE POLICE PURSUIT VEHICLE ADDS 4WD CAPABILITY
The Chevrolet Tahoe PPV is all-new for 2015, blending the design, performance and enhanced capabilities of the all-new civilian model with the specialized suspension and additional police content that have made the SUV an increasingly popular choice for law enforcement.
In addition to new exterior and interior designs, the Tahoe PPV has a new, more powerful and more efficient 5.3L V-8, along with new and updated chassis and suspension features, including the brakes and fuel-saving electric power steering. The PPV-specific lowered ride height and heavy-duty suspension are suited for the high-speed pursuits and severe duty that sometimes is required for police work. The front and rear suspensions include stiffer springs, shocks and jounce bumpers.
For the first time, the Tahoe PPV is offered with 4WD capability, with a pursuit-capable suspension that makes it more versatile for paved roads and rough terrain. And as with previous models, the 2015 Tahoe PPV delivers fully integrated electrical systems, making it easier for the aftermarket installation of police-specific equipment such as light bars and police radios.
All-new, inside and out
The exterior design of the 2015 Tahoe PPV is more refined and precisely sculpted. New, inlaid doors fit into the body side openings instead of over the top of the body, significantly improving the quietness of the interior and contributing to improved aerodynamics – an attribute that helps it slip through the air on the highway with less drag for greater efficiency. Lightweight aluminum hood and liftgate panels also enhance efficiency through reduced overall mass.
Additional exterior features include a windshield angle raked forward more than before and flattened at the corners, for better wiper performance, as well as the B-pillar moved forward slightly and the C-pillar straightened, making it easier to get in and out of the vehicle through the rear doors.
Standard and available police equipment includes:
- Black assist steps
- Auxiliary battery
- Available daytime running lamps and automatic headlamp delete
- Available headlamp/taillamp flasher system
- Radio suppression (braided brass straps attached at several body locations) is standard
- Available left- and right-hand spot lamps.
Inside, the Tahoe PPV delivers a comfortable ride for officers, with enhanced ergonomics that make their rolling office easier to use. The instrument panel, for example, has a straightforward design featuring a large, easy-to-view cluster. It includes a 4.2-inch driver information center display in the center of the cluster, for vehicle, infotainment and other data.
Additional standard and available content includes:
- Standard rear-vision camera system
- Standard backup sensors
- Standard air conditioning; front and rear
- Standard cruise control
- Standard rubberized vinyl floor covering with available carpeted floor covering
- Standard analog instrumentation with 150-mph certified speedometer
- Available wiring for grille lights and siren
- Available inoperative inside rear door handles, door locks and windows are available
- Standard 170-amp main power supply wiring at the instrument panel and 100-amp in cargo area
- Standard remote keyless entry; six additional remotes are available
- Available remote vehicle starter.
A 40/20/40 individual front seat is standard and a center-seat delete feature is available. It removes the center 20-percent section from the seat, allowing additional room for police equipment. Front bucket seats are also available. (Bucket seats are not recommended for patrol use.)
Stronger foundation, enhanced chassis
The 2015 Tahoe PPV is engineered to deliver a quieter, more-controlled ride and improved steering and braking feel. It all starts on a stronger, fully boxed, perimeter frame, which supports payload and trailering capability that body-frame-integral crossovers can’t match.
An updated coil-over-shock independent front suspension design features forged aluminum upper control arms and cast-aluminum lower control arms.
At the rear is a five-link coil-spring suspension design, which enables optimal ride and handling through more precise tuning. Lateral stiffness was increased at the frame-side joint of the lateral link with the addition of a cross-axis ball joint, for a greater feeling of steering precision.
Additional chassis and suspension features include:
- A wider rear track that contributes to a more planted stance and more confident handling
- Stronger body structure with more high-strength steel for a more solid feel and a quieter cabin
- Shear-style body mounts, which reduce body shake and enhance the feeling of structural stiffness, improve damping performance when compared with previous compression mounts
- Standard 3.08 axle ratio
- New, electric variable-assist power steering system enhances fuel economy and tailors steering assist to vehicle speed
- New front brake material for more confident braking performance
- Standard automatic locking rear differential that provides greater traction when needed and greater driving comfort when it’s not
- Standard electronically controlled transfer case on Tahoe PPV 4WD.
To support the high speeds sometimes required by police pursuit vehicles, the Tahoe PPV wears standard V-rated, P265/60R17 blackwall Goodyear RSA steel belt radial tires, mounted on 17 x 8-inch steel wheels. It also has heavy-duty transmission and engine oil coolers. StabiliTrak electronic stability control with proactive roll avoidance and traction control and hill start assist, is standard.
A skid plate package is standard and includes a front underbody shield from behind the front bumper to the first cross-member. It protects vital vehicle components such as the oil pan and other drivetrain parts.
Additional standard equipment includes a 26-gallon fuel tank, 170-amp alternator, a 660 CCA battery with run-down protection and a 730 CCA auxiliary battery.
More powerful and more efficient
The new EcoTec3 5.3L V-8 engine is rated at 355 horsepower (265 kW) and 383 lb-ft of torque (519 Nm) – 11 percent more power than previous models – and features state-of-the-art technologies including direct injection, cylinder deactivation, continuously variable valve timing and an advanced combustion system. They’re designed to make the most of power, torque and efficiency across a broad range of operating conditions.
The technologies also contribute to EPA-estimated 16 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway (2WD) – a nearly 10-percent increase in highway mileage over the previous models and 7-percent greater city mileage. The 4WD is EPA-estimated at 16 mpg in the city and 22 mpg on the highway. Improved engine mounts, electronic throttle control, adaptive exhaust systems, improved aerodynamics and other technologies help the engines operate in four-cylinder mode longer with Active Fuel Management, contributing further to efficiency.
A Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission is paired with the new 5.3L engine and contributes to efficiency with reduced engine speed on the highway. It also features TapShift control, tow/haul mode, hill start assist and auto grade braking.
Safety and crash-avoidance features
Chevrolet Tahoe has a strong body structure designed to absorb crash energy and provide a protective “safety cage” around occupants. Standard head curtain side air bags with rollover protection for both seating rows and seat-mounted side-impact air bags for driver and right front passenger adds to the safety components of the Tahoe PPV. The roof-mounted head curtain air bags provide increased rollover protection and occupant containment.
Additional safety features include:
- Standard OnStar and Bluetooth connectivity
- Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control system helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver’s intended path by applying throttle, brakes, or a combination of both
- Standard four-wheel-disc brake system with ABS featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation
- Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly
- Standard tire pressure monitoring system.
A new driver alert package is available and features forward collision alert, lane departure warning, safety alert seat and power-adjustable pedals.