Four technically advanced aluminum casting processes: green sand, lost foam, precision sand.
General Motors Saginaw Metal Casting Operations has been a proud part of the Saginaw economy since 1918, providing jobs and community support for more than 90 years. It is located one mile west of I-75 (exit 151).
Recent Major Investments:
- Green sand aluminum – heads: 752,000
- Lost foam – heads: 333,700
- Precision sand – blocks: 117,500
Products & Production
- Aluminum engine blocks and cylinder heads
- 2.2L/2.4L L850 I4 blocks
- 5.3L/6.0L Gen IV V-8 blocks and heads
- 5.3L/6.2L Gen IV V-8 block pre-machine
2012 CY Production Total
2.3 million castings
Three technically advanced aluminum casting processes are used at SMCO: green sand, lost foam and precision sand. SMCO is General Motors’ largest aluminum casting facility.
Wages: $ 58.3 million
Payroll Taxes: $ 11.6 million