OnStar Company Information
- More than 18 years ago, GM had the foresight and fortitude to create an industry-defining company, OnStar, focused on developing powerfully simple technology to make a real difference in peoples’ lives.
- OnStar is the benchmark for in-vehicle safety, security, communication and convenience services, with more than 18 years of experience and more than six million current subscribers.
|-||OnStar has applied the lessons from more than 700 million cumulative subscriber interactions to continually evolve and improve its services. OnStar’s key services include: Automatic Crash Response, Stolen Vehicle Assistance, Turn-by-Turn Navigation, OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, Hands-Free Calling, and the OnStar RemoteLink Mobile App.|
|-||OnStar interacts with a subscriber an average of once every two seconds.|
- In responding to over 300,000 crash scenes, OnStar has had a fundamental impact on trauma response and crash outcomes.
|-||OnStar’s 18 years of experience has continued to define the state-of-the-art in crash response technology.|
|-||Crash signature data allows for deep analytical evaluations across a broad and comprehensive range of vehicle crashes.|
|-||OnStar is working with the Dr. Stewart Wang and the University of Michigan Health System to study exactly what happens in vehicle crashes, so that information can be used to better treat victims|
- An important factor that separates OnStar from its competitors is the human connection of OnStar Advisors, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
|-||When “life happens on the road”, these trained Advisors offer much more than any automated system can offer: immediate, knowledgeable and personalized attention.|
|-||OnStar Advisors stay on the phone during an emergency and will give all crash details to emergency responders, including precise vehicle location, which can make the difference in receiving life-saving treatment.|
|-||OnStar Emergency Advisors are now EMD certified, allowing them to offer life saving guidance and instructions while victims wait for first responders to arrive on scene.|
|-||OnStar Emergency Advisors have to go through a comprehensive training process. This process includes, over 15 weeks of internal OnStar training, as well as specialized training by the National Academies of Emergency Dispatch (NAED), which includes Medical Priority Dispatch Systems (MPDS). protocol, CPR, emergency software instruction and OnStar-specific emergency processes. These Advisors also receive continued education on a variety of emergency topics in order to maintain their certification.|
- OnStarStolen Vehicle Slowdown and Remote Ignition Block are powerful and highly valued next steps that will assist in the recovery of Stolen Vehicles.
|-||Remote Ignition Block allows an OnStar Advisor to send a signal that blocks the ignition, so once a stolen vehicle is turned off, it cannot be started again (until its recovered and the Advisor reactivates the ignition).|
|-||With Stolen Vehicle Slowdown, once a police officer indicates conditions are safe, an OnStar Advisor sends a signal to a stolen vehicle that deactivates the accelerator and gradually slows the vehicle to an idle speed.|
|-||Stolen Vehicle Slowdown is an enhancement to OnStar’s Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance, which our subscribers use approximately 300-400 times each month.|
|-||This service can positively impact potentially life-threatening situations. According to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration statistics, about 30,000 police chases occur yearly and approximately 300 deaths occur as a result of these police chases.|
- OnStar’s Turn-by-Turn System allows GM to achieve true “Connected Navigation”.
|-||GM and OnStar’s innovative navigation offerings continue to provide practical and convenient solutions that enhance the driving experience.|
|-||OnStar customers simply push the blue OnStar button and request an address or Point of Interest from an Advisor, and the directions will be automatically downloaded to the vehicle.|
|-||OnStar eNav allows customers to send Turn-by-Turn directions directly to their vehicle through MapQuest by selecting “Send to OnStar” on the website. The directions can then be stored and accessed through OnStar’s “Virtual Advisor” service in the vehicle.|
|-||Customers with the OnStar RemoteLink Mobile App can also send a destination directly to their vehicle’s navigation system through their smartphone.|
- OnStar’s extensive experience and growing scale have combined to help subscribers through serious weather and other events with its Crisis Assist service.
|-||OnStar provides routing assistance, hotel reservations, a connection to loved ones and shelter locations to all subscribers (regardless of their subscription level) during crisis events such as hurricanes, wild fires, snow storms, etc.|
|-||OnStar saw an increase in call volume of 4.5 times and routing requests 10.5 times over the averages during the evacuation for Hurricane Gustav.|
- OnStar’s patented Vehicle Diagnostics Platform leads to the safe and efficient operation of current and future vehicles.
|-||OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics (OVD) runs checks on a vehicle’s key operating systems and notifies subscribers monthly with an easy-to-read email status report so they know if they need to take action and how.|
|-||Customers can also request OVD checks on demand by simply pressing their blue OnStar button and asking the Advisor.|
- OnStar in the palm of your hand with the OnStar RemoteLink Mobile App.
|-||iPhone, Android, Blackberry and Windows Phone users can connect to their vehicle remotely with the OnStar RemoteLink Mobile App. It is available for most 2010MY and newer vehicles.|
|-||RemoteLink allows drivers to start, stop, lock, unlock and activate the horn and lights on their vehicle from any distance.|
|-||Owners can access certain vehicle diagnostic information on the app, like tire pressure, fuel level and oil life.|
|-||Drivers can also use RemoteLink to send a destination directly to their vehicle’s navigation system through their smartphone. Once the driver starts the vehicle, directions to the planned destination will begin.|
- OnStar’s Family Link service lets drivers stay connected with loved ones no matter where they roam.
|-||Use Vehicle Locate to find out where an owner’s OnStar-equipped vehicle is at any time.|
- With a new driver in the house, Vehicle Locate provides peace of mind as they take the road.
- If a family member is driving across the state to visit a friend, Vehicle Locate allows the owner to check on their progress.
- If a loved one is unreachable and driving in inclement weather, the Vehicle Locate feature can help determine if they’re safe and sound.
|-||Set up email or text message notifications and FamilyLink will let the owner know the location of their vehicle at a specified day and time.|
Download this text in Word
Download this text in Word